So, My brother was playing with these gel balls. He showed me these tiny colorful beads. He dropped them in water and a about an hour later they had soaked up water and had expanded to a relatively large size. We grabbed handfuls and started flinging it at one another. We had a very good time.
I got to thinking that this might be something I can use with my plants. When I did my research I found that it is already used in horticulture. Apparently it has more uses than a gitchy water source for bridal center pieces.
The name of this polymer is Polyacrylamide. I am going to use this for air layers. Last year I made some air layers, but I forgot to water them and they failed. With these little babies in place even if I forget to check the air layers it will not result in catastrophe.
The following is a time lapse of about one hour. I did not add any more polymer balls after the initial portion. I did have to add lots of water though.
|Colored balls and clear ones|
|Total number of balls used n the experiment|
|After thirty seconds there was a size change|
|Ten minutes in water|
So I prepped this apple tree for the air layer (How to Air Layer). I added the polymer balls and pulled the bag fairly tight. I checked it the next day. It had condensation but no pooling of water. Prognosis, satisfactory. Ill cross my fingers on this experiment. Cheers.
Oh, I found this website: https://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/water-jelly-crystals-superabsorbent-polymers/
It has some fun facts:
The gel balls turned to mush. I am going to call this experiment a failure.